The Slaton Tiger and Tigerette Track teams competed in the Lubbock Cooper High School meet Thursday (March 12).
Boys Head Coach Jacob Dangerfield was impressed at how well the team did overall. “We did a tremendous job improving our times for the year but we are becoming more mentally tough,” he said.
Top finishers for the Tigers Varsity Track team were:
• Quevon McDaniel — second in the triple jump with a jump of 42 feet, 1.75 inches.
• Jacorien Doss — sixth in the triple jump with a jump of 36 feet, 5.50 inches.
• Kevondrick Gober — second in the long jump with a jump of 21 feet, 1.50 inches.
• Zephron Ortiz — fourth in the 100 meter dash with a time of 23.05 seconds.
• Edward Betancourt — sixth in the 300 meter hurdles with a time of 44.15.
The 4×100 meter relay of McDaniel, Ortiz, Chris Rader, Gober finished fifth with a time of 43.93 seconds.
The 4×200 meter relay of McDaniel, Ortiz, Rader and Gober finished in fourth with a time of 1:31.34.
The 4×400 meter relay of McDaniel, Ortiz, Rader and Gober finished sixth with a time of 3:34.80.
The girls team also ran in the meet.
Full results of the girls’ meet were not available at press time, but will run in a future edition of The Slatonite.
Both teams will be on hiatus until March 29, after the University Interscholastic League suspended all extracurricular activities, practices and competitions due to the coronavirus outbreak.