COVID-19 lead to an abrupt end of spring sports for 2020.
It also threatens football, cross country and early fall sports.
That said, athletes will have a chance to do some conditioning workouts during the summer just in case.
Slaton High School will start conducting summer workouts beginning June 8.
Workouts will include strength and conditioning sessions and some skills specific training.
Daily check-in will be at 7 a.m. at the south end of the grass field. UIL encourages self screening for virus symptoms in themselves and their families.
Those exhibiting COVID symptoms are asked to not go to workouts, but instead self isolate for two weeks before returning.
The weekly schedule will involve strength and conditioning work from 7:30-9:30 a.m., then sports specific instruction at 10 a.m.
Friday workouts during the weeks will be sports specific only.
Summer workouts will conclude July 30.
In addition to the times, UIL is also requiring several safety measures due to COVID-19.
These restrictions include:
• Athletes and coaches must maintain six feet of distance on all sides and 10 when active.
• UIL rules state schools must have a minimum of one staff member per 20 students.
• Athletes cannot be in groups larger than 15 outdoors and 10 indoors.
• The weight room as well as its equipment will be disinfected throughout all workout sessions.
• Students cannot access the locker rooms or shower facilities. This year, students must
come in proper gear and then immediately return home to shower after the workout.
• They must bring their own water and towels this year. No shared or school supplied items will be allowed. UIL also is not allowing schools to launder any towels this year.
• Hand sanitizer will be readily available.
All sessions will be conducted with the rules and limitations set forth by UIL’s guidelines for safety.
Last year, UIL updated its policies regarding strength and conditioning programs as well as sports specific skilled instruction.
The workouts are optional and must be in compliance with all rules for the program and specific skill instruction.
For more information regarding the summer workouts, contact Athletic Director Lawrence Johnson at email@example.com or Tiffany Potts at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 828-5833.